To find jurisdictions offering this course for CLE credit, select from the highlighted states on this map.
Total Credits: 1 including 1 General
There is a significant correlation between domestic/intimate partner violence and violence against animals (often referred to as “the link”). We also know that victims of domestic violence will often refuse to leave their abusers out of fear that their beloved pet would be harmed, and not having a safe place that will shelter them both. One study found that at least 87% of victims felt that if they had access to a facility that allowed them to bring their pets, their decision to leave would be easier. Largely because of this important link, The National Sheriffs’ Association (NSA) formed an animal cruelty committee, and acts of animal abuse are now tracked alongside felony crimes like arson, assault, and homicide in the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s criminal database.
This seminar will review the relationship between animal abuse and DV, while encouraging a multidisciplinary approach (between law enforcement, prosecutors, child protective services, domestic violence shelters, etc.) to facilitate communication, collaboration and keep communities safe.
|Domestic Violence and Animal Cruelty - How Prosecuting Animal Abuse Can Save Lives (11.2 MB)||109 Pages||Available after Purchase|
Admitted to Massachusetts Bar, December 2008
Northwestern District Attorney’s Office February 2019-Present
Assistant District Attorney
· Assigned to the Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Unit.
· Train and supervise district court ADAs on sexual assault and domestic violence cases.
· Conduct trainings for ADAs, law enforcement, and community partners related to domestic violence and sexual assault.
· Represent the district attorney’s office at coalition meetings and task forces within the community in which we serve.
· Attended the Crimes against Women conference in Dallas, Texas in April 2019.
· Maintain both a district court and superior court caseload.
· Review and handle all animal cruelty cases and/or investigations within our jurisdiction.
Humane Society of the United States August 2018-Present
Reserve Law Enforcement Trainer/Speaker
Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office November 2017-February 2019
Assistant District Attorney
Aitken, Chacharone & Power, P.C. June 2016-October 2017
Bristol County District Attorney’s Office March 2010-May 2016
Assistant District Attorney, Special Victims Unit June 2014- May 2016
Supervisor of Attleboro District Court November 2012-April 2014
Assistant District Attorney March 2010- November 2012
Roger Williams University School of Law, Bristol, RI
Juris Doctor, May 2008
University of Hartford, Bloomfield, CT
Bachelor of Arts, Politics and Government, magna cum laude, May 2005
Please wait ...